Here are some of the best and rarest pictures that are gripping and memorable because they say so much about the human condition and some of the best and worst parts of modern life.
Some of these photos might make some people sad, while others might make them happy. But that’s because these pictures show some of the best and worst things about people and the world. But, for the most part, these photos show how we got to where we are now.
They show our pain and our victories, our persistence and failures, our kindness and hatred, our intelligence and our stupidity. From remembering the Flower Power movement to seeing chilling photos of the gas chamber in a concentration camp, war photos, pictures of the tsunami, and the battle of Kursk, there is a lot to see. These strong pictures show both the good and the bad in people.
Some of these old pictures may be more interesting to some of our readers than to others. But hopefully, they will remind us all that the world could always use a little more love, tolerance, compassion, and understanding.
P.S.: We do our best to give credit to each photographer, but sometimes it’s impossible to find them. If you know who the missing authors are, please leave a comment.
1. Starving boy and missionary
Image credits: Mike Wells
2. Inside an Auschwitz gas chamber
Image credits: kligon5
3. Father and son (1949 vs 2009)
4. A Russian soldier playing an abandoned piano in Chechnya in 1994
Image credits: drugoi.livejournal.com
5. Christians protect Muslims during prayer in the midst of the 2011 uprisings in Cairo, Egypt
Image credits: Nevine Zaki
6. A firefighter gives water to a koala during the devastating Black Saturday bushfires in Victoria, Australia, in 2009
Image credits: abc.net.au
7 Indian homeless men queue for Eid al-Fitr free meals outside a mosque in New Delhi.
Image credits: Tsering Topgyal / AP
8. Man Falling from the World Trade Center on 9/11. “The Falling Man.”
Image credits: Richard Drew /AP
9. Embracing couple in the rubble of a collapsed factory
Image credits: Taslima Akhter
10. Sunset on Mars
Image credits: nasa.gov
11. “Leao” sits for a second day at the grave of her owner, who died in the 2011 Rio de Janeiro landslides.
Image credits: Vanderlei Almeida / Getty Images
12. “Wait For Me Daddy,” by Claude P. Dettloff in New Westminster, Canada, October 1, 1940
Image credits: Claud Detloff
13. Flower power
Image credits: Bernie Boston
14. The Graves of a Catholic woman and her Protestant husband, Holland, 1888
Image credits: retronaut.com
15. Russian soldiers preparing for the Battle of Kursk, July 1943
Image credits: Shirak Karapetyan-Milshtein
16. An Afghan man offers tea to soldiers
Image credits: Rafiq Maqbool / AP
17. Greg Cook hugs his dog Coco after finding her inside his destroyed home in Alabama following the Tornado in March, 2012
Image credits: Gary Cosby Jr. / AP
18. A woman sits amidst the wreckage caused by a massive earthquake and ensuing tsunam, in Natori, northern Japan, in March 2011
Image credits: Asahi Shimbun, Toshiyuki Tsunenari /AP
19. An old WW2 Russian tank veteran finally found the old tank in which he passed through the entire war – standing in a small Russian town as a monument
Image credits: englishrussia.com
20. Alcoholic father with his son
Image credits: imgur.com